Thursday, September 26, 2013

Imminent Government Shutdown

Welcome back, I know it's been a long time since I've actually written a blog post.  Sorry about that.  I've been concentrating on political issues, and I don't want to turn this into a political blog.  But with the government in danger of being shutdown next week.  I wanted to put in my two cents on a few issues that I feel need to be addressed.  I come from a long line of military men.  My brother in law is currently serving, along with several of my cousins.  My father, my grandfather, my wife's grandfather and several other cousins have also served.  I actually live outside an Air Force base and most of my neighbors are currently serving our country.  I say all this to explain the following letter.  I feel that everyone in this country needs to write to theirs reps with something along the following lines.  If you feel the need to shut the government down.  Then you need to pass two laws.  One that states that our military will continue to be paid, and one that states that Congress and the Presidential branch won't.  Here is the letter I just sent to my my reps in Congress.

Dear Senator/Representative,

I want to let you know that I have been following the government shutdown closely.  I agree with some of the reasons for this.  What I don't agree with is that the military won't get paid during the shutdown.  I understand that their pay is retroactively paid to them when the government is back up and running, this is just wrong.  If the members of Congress can't do their jobs effectively, the least you can do is pass a law stating that the military pay checks will not be delayed.

The other is you can get a law passed stating that members of Congress the President of the United States will not get paid during this time, not even retroactively.

The shutdown of the government is a failure on the part of Congress to do their job.  If I don't do my job, I lose it and I don't get paid.  It's time to start acting like adults, and to stop holding our country hostage.  I have to have a budget, that takes into account my debt and income, and it's time the United States of America does the same. 

Thank You,



Here are the links necessary to find your rep and to write them.


House of Representatives


Senate


The President of the United States

No comments:

Post a Comment